Don’t Make a New Reference File Clipping Boundary
Just change the one that’s there.
By Rick Sewell, Axiom’s Resident Service Genius
So you have your clip set up all nice and neat. Then you’re told that you must also include that little section of the reference that is just outside the boundary. Ah! What a pain to have to re-clip the whole thing. My solution is to not do it! Instead, just adjust the existing clip boundary. Here’s how:
- Go to File | References.
- Select the reference that has a clipping boundary you’d like to edit
- Set the “Hilite Mode:” to “Boundaries”. This will highlight the clipping boundary for the selected reference.
You’ll now be able to see the file clipping boundary. If you were to now left-click the clip boundary and drag, you could move the reference and the boundary.
- Pick the “Element Selection” tool.
In the “Element Selection” dialog box, you’ll see a little button off to the right by itself with a “No” symbol (red circle with a line through it) on it. Hover your mouse over it and a fly-over text will display “Disable Handles”. This button defines whether or not you are controlling just the reference attachment boundary or the reference attachment and boundary together. (If you were to now left-click the clip boundary and drag while the “Disable Handles” button is active, you would move both the reference and the boundary together.)
- Disable the “Disable Handles” feature so that you can modify just the boundary, not the boundary and the reference.
- Left-click on your clipping boundary and you’ll see handles show up at the vertices.
- Now, left-click on any of the vertices and drag it to change the location of the point. Doing this modifies the shape and size of your clipping boundary.
So, don’t just delete your clipping boundary. Change it!
Want More MicroStation Tips? Call Now!
For more information on cool tips and tricks, check out our LearningBay courses by visiting www.AxiomInt.com/microstation-training. You can also schedule a free demonstration about training solutions or talk with one of our MicroStation Consultants by calling 727-442-7774 extension 3527.
Send Us Your MicroStation Tips!
Send your favorite MicroStation tip or trick to MsTips@AxiomInt.com. We will give you full credit for the tip and your peers will look at you with reverence.